Leicester Blue Sox and the British Baseball Federation (BBF) held each of their AGMs on consecutive weekends this month. These meetings have helped shape the future of the club and our sport as we move forwards into the 2017 season.
Blue Sox AGM - Sunday 20 November
The club has formed a new Operations Committee, with the following positions being elected by our membership.
Chairperson – Matt Crawshaw
Secretary – Kelle-Marie Simmonds
Treasurer – Helen Rollins
Volunteers - Dave Burke
Safeguarding - Nadine Attwell
Officials - Katy Edgington
Our Performance Committee will be co-opted as we get nearer to the traditional pre-season period of February/March.
Matt presented his thoughts on both the financial position of the club in 2016, which remains in good shape as well expectations for the 2017 season that included:
· Creation of second adult team (joint venture with Long Eaton Storm)
· Baseball/Softball Boot Camp for beginners (and those with less than two seasons experience) in February
· Pre-season practice for all other adult regulars will be held separate to the Boot Camp – full details TBA
· New maximum age for Blue Sox Juniors will be 15
· Junior age groups to be re-structured as u7, u10 and u13/u16
· Women/girls softball programme to build on it’s successful new format from last season
· UK Coaches Summit (28 January)
· Youth Baseball Camp during February half term (ages 5-9)
· Little Sox/Juniors day out at batting cages near Wembley (26 March)
BBF AGM - Saturday 26 November
This year’s BBF AGM at the Holiday Inn, Leicester saw Matt formally stepping down from the BBF board, after four years of service as Southern Youth Commissioner.
Over this period he has overseen the transformation towards Little League integration, as well as a large expansion of teams and age-groups in the Southern Region.
Speaking at the AGM he said “In my first year of commissioner, we only had two Youth National Baseball Championships (YNBCs) in the Bronco and Pony age-groups. In my final year this had expanded to seven different YNBCs. It’s been great to see even more youth programmes becoming established this year including Brighton, Kent, London Capitals and Southampton - hopefully even more to come next season!”
Matt was recognised by the new BBF President Gerry Perez during a presentation for outgoing board members.
The two main takeaways from this year’s AGM pertinent to the Blue Sox were:
· No objections from the floor regarding the proposal for a new second team, being run as a joint venture between Leicester Blue Sox and Long Eaton Storm
· Southern Adult League Commissioner Ben Davis to devolve elements of league format planning to key volunteers in our region. This is likely to lead to the resumption of a two-tier Central division format (Double-A and Single-A), with two new teams coming into Single-A; Norwich Iceni and the yet to be named Sox/Storm joint-venture East Midlands team
The first Blue Sox Operations Committee will be held on
Sunday 18 December. The club will delay the formal announcement of our 2017
membership package until after this meeting.
In the meantime, stay tuned for further announcements on our Baseball/Softball Boot Camp, Youth Baseball Camp and second adult-team naming competition!